It’s that time of year again: the hustle and bustle, the baking, the decorating, the parties, and the most especially, the shopping. Don’t forget how much extra we consume during the month of December! Here are 8 simple ways you can go green this holiday season without spending even one extra penny.
- Let’s Get Real: Splurge by getting a real Christmas tree. Taking the family to pick out and cut down their own tree can be a great bonding experience and there’s less artificial waste at the end of it all.
- Less Things: Buy gifts that are experiences and not tangible items. Concert tickets and gift certificates to restaurants are some examples.
- Public Transit: Take public transportation to do your holiday shopping or shop at outdoor shopping centers where walking from one store to another is an easy navigational option.
- Green Gifts: Give gifts that are eco-friendly such as LED light bulbs or low-flow showerheads.
- Grab Bag: Take a reusable cloth bag with you on your winter shopping sprees. Grocery stores aren't the only places you should be using them. Use them for just about any retail shopping by keeping them in easily accessible places like the trunk of your car or by your front door. This will help serve as a reminder to take it with you everywhere you go.
- Under the Tree: Wrap your presents with reusable wrapping paper or a gift bag. Gift bags can be used multiple times while reusable gift-wrap is much more eco-friendly than its traditional paper counterpart.
- Swap Meet: Recycle or donate any unwanted or older items after the holiday season. Often times we receive gifts to replace older things so make sure you donate them to a good cause. Don’t just throw them out!
- Light It Up: Replace your incandescent Christmas lights with new LED lights. These low energy strands come in all different shapes, colors and sizes. They may be a little e=more expensive now but will pay off in the long run especially if you them for outdoor lighting displays.
We wish a very Merry Christmas and hope you have a great holiday! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us or leave a comment below.